As Doyle himself has told us, this is a “giveaway piece of shit and not actually” his! HOWEVER, it is a certified piece of original merchandise that was distributed by the band, beginning in the very late 80s. It is not a 3rd party licensed product. Read below for the full info!
Don’t get scammed!
- Often incorrectly and even intentionally sold as early 80s vintage guitar picks or as 2016 or later Misfits reunion picks, these were actually given out primarily in the 1990s.
- The earliest we can verify this exact design is in 1989 Doyle Fan Club mail-outs, which is why we advertise them primarily as 90s picks, even though the one you receive could very well be a late 80s product. There is simply no way to verify it without it being attached to dated mail-outs.
- The earlier fan club picks had a different skull print and were printed on both sides and are certified 80s production.
- 2016 & forward Original Misfits reunion picks have a large, detailed Crimson Ghost face on one side and Doyle’s stylized name on the other. You can see and sometimes purchase these modern picks here: ORIGINAL MISFITS – DOYLE – OFFICIAL REUNION GUITAR PICK
- An example of a current production, officially licensed pick can be seen here: MISFITS – LICENSED GUITAR PICK
- Eventually, promo picks like these were available in some other colors or with different ink colors.
- There are a LOT of unlicensed and otherwise fake Misfits picks available from various markets. Do your research! There’s a scam around every corner.
In Doyle’s own words from a comment on one of our Instagram posts, “That’s a 90s pic, if it’s Delrin T0rtex, it’s actually mine, if it’s cellulose… It’s a giveaway piece of shit and not actually mine..”
(Embedded post below this description.)
While Doyle’s history lesson is accurate, rest assured that these are as high quality as any other official band merch pick, and they are a very cool piece of history. When these were first available, the Misfits had not officially reunited in any way yet. Doyle and Jerry were working on their Kryst the Conqueror project at the time and a solid Misfits lineup was still years away. These picks continued to be given away for years.
- The graphics on the pick you receive may be slightly misaligned or perfectly centered. This is due to methods of mass producing inexpensive merchandise and not a sign of fake merchandise.
- There are tiny, consistently inconsistent print areas between picks that may or may not indicate a different facility or design template but we have had zero luck in verifying that.
- Pick shapes may vary slightly as there were at least two types of pick used for these promo pieces, intentionally or not, though it is barely noticeable at first sight. One certainly seems to be more rare than the other. (These are NOT to be confused with Doyle’s personal Tortex picks.) We have yet to verify exactly which shape came first.
WE ARE NOT IN ANY WAY suggesting that these were used by bassist Jerry Only or guitarist Doyle Wolfgang von Frankenstein, or any other member. As such, they are not being advertised as “tour,” “concert”, “used by”, “stage used” or otherwise in a manner to insinuate that they were used by the band. Buy them knowing, if nothing else, that they were either fan club giveaways, tour souvenirs, or otherwise used in band merchandising, though many of these did go through the hands of the members themselves as they were distributed in one way or another.
These are only available in very limited quantities and on a come-and-go basis!
Price is for ONE pick and ONE case! (A maximum of two per order is allowed.)
We get these picks from all over the U.S.A. and occasionally acquire them from international sources. The picks are stored and shipped in protective cases. We recommend using these cases for your collection if you do not already have a better way to store them. The cases may show minor signs of wear. The picks themselves may show wear of various sorts. Remember that some of these may be over 30 years old! Note that many of them have been safely housed for well over 20 years and others have not been so carefully handled, but none will be shipped out in notably poor condition. We have acquired dozens of these picks over the years. The pictures are a general representation and not necessarily of the pick you will receive.
PUNKTOY acquires these from various sources, including auctions, collection buy-outs, through trade with collectors, and other means. We do not and never will sell a fake or licensed pick as an original band-used item! There is never a guarantee on how many of these will be available at any given time. It may be none, it may be 100. It may be next week, it may be never again! Get them when you can!
Images watermarked with PUNKTOY logos may not be reused without permission.
View this post on Instagram
That’s a real, old Misfits pick. There’s a fresh round of fakes for sale online. They are from an individual who says they were printed by a well-known pick company, one that obviously doesn’t manually approve artwork. They are not selling them as originals, but the next person might, so watch out! When you want a legit thing, get it from a legit source! #misfitsbootlegs #misfits #themisfits #guitarpickcollection #guitarpicks #guitarpick #guitarpickcollector #jerryonly #doylewolfgangvonfrankenstein